The reason for creating an open list of servers was that the vast majority of server lists are biased, contain irrelevant information, based on the personal opinion of the owner of the list, or contain slander.When adding 404 to server lists, we repeatedly encountered refusals to include or exclude from the lists due to unfair competition from the owners of other XMPP servers creating the lists.
Funny and crazy examples of refusals to include a server in the biased lists
Some admins openly write that they do not want to include in the lists the servers that they think are better than them server, other admins come up with various reasons for refusal. Over the seven years of our existence, we have collected many reasons for refusals to add to lists. Some of them are pretty funny.
- Your server is at the top of the XXX list, change the domain so that your server is at the end or middle of the personal list or change your domain to ugly
- Reduce the size of the transferred files to 100 megabytes, otherwise we will not include the server in the list, because server owner XXX list only supports transferring files of 100 megabytes (The server was included in the list, but after that it was removed from the list after a week. When we asked why this happened, the owner replied that it was a technical problem and added the server to the list again. A week later, he again removed the server from the list, already honestly giving the reason)
-Well Just like that.I will not include in the list because I am the owner of the XXX list.I include in the lists whoever I want
-Your server is not old enough and has few users. Earn respect on the streets! Chat with admins of other servers from the XXX list.
- I don't like your website design. You need to reduce the page size to 1 kilobyte
- Google whores! You are using reCaptcha! (We replied that this is not reCapcha is hCaptcha) - Damned reptilians!
The very same case when the owners harbors a grudge due to a technical error and tries to fix the problem with chatter and slander:
-You are blocking my server and breaking federation by preventing insecure connections! For a good overview, turn off s2s encryption with my server because I can't connect to 404 server due to my server's encryption misconfigured. I checked everything on my server there is no error! Other servers accept my self-signed certificate! ( Owners of servers with incorrectly configured encryption often harbor resentment and create libelous reviews. They don't want to change the configuration to the defaults or update the software, but instead require disabling encryption, just like other servers with which they have no problem connecting)
-Downgrade your software to an older version, I do not want to update my server, and your server does not work with servers with outdated software! Downgrade version before my and it should work!
-Your support team is just disgusting. When I wrote from an unavailable server to the support service that the connection was unavailable , no one answered me! (oh...Well, If you wrote a message about unavailability from an unavailable connection, the message could not be delivered)
- My server is working well and has no spam or flood issues. I manually scan messages from all users and block everyone who sends spam. To be included in the list, turn off spam protection and manually view messages just like me! Spam protection is evil! By requiring a user to add strangers to the roster before strangers can write you are breaking federation! (In our opinion, reading the unencrypted correspondence of users is a greater evil than allowing them to moderate spam from strangers themselves)
Politically motivated directory owners do not list servers due to their inner convictions:
- I was scraped by one of your users in group chat. Your server was created by nazis and women haters! (The user provoked conflicts in order to become a chat administrator and remove opponents, when he was refused he began to send complaints to directories. Two lists excluded the server from the lists without even figuring out the truth of this slander. Two lists excluded the server from the lists without even figuring out the truth of this slander)
- We only list servers controlled by gay and transgender!
- Your server runs on diesel fuel. We only turn on servers powered by electricity (We were so dumbfounded by this statement that we did not overpersuade the owner of the list.)
These crazy reasons forced the creation of an open directory of servers, where it would be possible to freely add a public server without any assessment of its correctness.
The goal of creating a server directory is to eliminate human factor and create a free server list that anyone can easily add their favorite public server to.The only rule of participation Be public XMPP server!. The server must have an open registration and explicitly indicate about it on the main page.